Saturday, May 23, 2009

I apparently forgot to post this...

*So this is wrote I wrote for my day on Tuesday and apparently forgot to post. Woops.*

After a wonderful and very fulfilling day I suddenly came to the jolting realization that I’ve officially been here for two weeks. TWO WEEKS?!?! I can’t believe it’s already been so long! For the longest time I would have taken oath on saying that days in Rome are the longest in the world and like some parallel yet unequal universe, time runs differently here. But it turns out that the sands of time slip through your fingers all too quickly anywhere your physical self may be and the flight of time is no trick of any fairy but rather the workings of misplaced imaginations and time spent with your dreams. Goodness!
But that aside, it was a very good day. We finished most of our work on prepositions and articles today (although the work of prepositions will be an ongoing and very annoying process for me) and we then started work on the second worst of all… passato prossimo. This is really a very tricky concept for me because in Italian, the past relies on two verbs before each past participle which are avere and essere and I always seem to screw up when to use one or the other. We shall see how this turns out. My test to proceed onto the next level of classes is Friday, so I will have to pay close attention!
After class today my classmates seemed to have forgotten that I agreed to sing for them today and so I quietly slipped out while the thought was still out of their minds. I headed back to Villa and managed to give every single UD student the cold shoulder even though some of them tossed looks of “Is that the UD kid that lives here?” I ignored them and did my best to speak as much Italian as I could so that I could separate them from myself even further. I also have found another reason to hate their presence: with 20 extra mouths to feed, the cooks resort to things easier to make in mass quantity, as this never bodes well for quality anywhere, the food at lunch is becoming less than desirable. I mean, for God’s sake, yesterday we had chicken fingers. *sigh* How could I ever have thought to hate Canadians when it is obvious that I can find enough animosity for just one nationality.
After lunch I headed back to the Center to meet up with the Brazilian girl, MaitĂȘ, from my class. She had never been to Piazza Venezia and had nothing to do all afternoon so we decided to meet up because I had seen it. We met at Termini station and tried to take a bus, but the bus she thought went there actually went to a different monument that she thought was Piazza Venezia. We finally found the right bus and went there… missing the closing time by 15 minutes. Ah well, more incentive to go back, right? She ended up getting invited to have dinner with one of the other girls that is also living in Rome and sharing the same apartment building as her. So we headed out separate ways and for some reason I decided to go for another run. I don’t know why I all of a sudden feel the drive to do all this cardio, but at the end of the day in the hot Italian sun, it feels great. I come back just in time for a quick shower and to head to dinner. The fast paced motion feels good after sitting all morning and seems to give some vindication to the sweat I produced during my romp around town. It makes showering feel AH-mazing.
After everyone had left dinner I sat with the guys who had come late and we talked for a long time which was really cool. I met the girl who apparently every single guy in Villa wants for himself. Her name is Matika (I think that’s how you spell it), and she is an aerospace engineering major and apparently is some kind of crazy genius. Oh, I guess it would help to mention that she’s well… beautiful… to say the least. You know Sofia Loren? Yeah, this girl has about the same legs, certainly a good representation of the same front, classic Italian face and gorgeous “let me run my fingers and then smell it as I’m sure it smells like Heaven” hair. I understood why every guy tried to sit at her table. It was quite funny. The best part was that whenever she would talk to the guys, then never, ever, even once, looked at her face. Ah well, boys will be boys. I came to the sickening realization today that I have not had any gelato since last Thursday. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?! I’m going out with Antonio after his German lesson. Mmmmmm… gelato…

No comments:

Post a Comment