Monday, May 4, 2009

The Night Before

Amazingly, it is the night before my trip to Italy. All too soon and somehow not soon enough, I am flying half way around the world. Half way around the world to a land of amazing country sides, fashion, beautiful people, incredibly wine and of course lots and lots of varieties of simple carbs.

It's a scary thought and yet at the same time I am invigorated and excited at the prospect of getting to do something that not many people I know have done. Sure I have friends that have done study abroad, I know people who regularly travel internationally, but I get to do something slightly different. I get to not only travel alone to a country I have never been to before and barely speak the language, but I get to just go solely for the purpose of soaking up culture. I get to decide just how much I can squeeze out of two months of living in a land completely foreign to me. What an opportunity, and what a responsibility!

I already miss many of my friends from school and already, even as they are sleeping in rooms around me I already miss my family more than I ever have before. We rarely do grand adventures without each other and to get to be the one who flies to a place that we have all been dreaming of going and not having them all there with me to experience every sight, sound, taste, laugh, thought, walk, will kill me more than anything. It is both exciting and frightening to me that I have to remember this journey for not only me, but also for the four people whom I will wish were sharing it with me the entire time.

Enough sap. Time to get some sleep and wake up totally PUMPED for what lies ahead. I will update as soon as I get there and of course as often as possibly after that. I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment